In 2012, a mental health needs assessment in San Francisco revealed that Asian and Pacific Islander communities (particularly Cambodians, Filipinos, Laotians, Samoans, and Vietnamese) are most impacted by mental health issues due to the lack of culturally relevant services/resources to meet their unique needs and severe lack of providers from such communities.
To meet this need in San Francisco, the Asian & Pacific Islander Mental Health Collaborative (APIMHC) was established as a coalition between RAMS and six community-based organizations:
- Samoan Community Development Center (Samoan Wellness Initiative)
- Filipino-American Development Foundation/Bayanihan Community Center (Filipino Mental Health Initiative – SF)
- Vietnamese Youth Development Center (Southeast Asian Mental Health Initiative – SF)
- Cambodian Community Development, Inc. (Southeast Asian Mental Health Initiative – SF)
- Lao Seri Association (Southeast Asian Mental Health Initiative – SF)
- Vietnamese Family Services Center (Southeast Asian Mental Health Initiative – SF)
As there are no equivalent services in Alameda County, the Regional Pacific Islander Task Force advocated for Pacific Islander-focused mental health outreach. RAMS established the Pacific Islander Wellness Initiative, which provides prevention and early intervention services to Pacific Islanders (including Native Hawaiians) in collaboration with longstanding community-based organizations such as Taulama, Samoan Community Development Center, and Regional Pacific Islander Task Force.
Asian and Pacific Islander Mental Health Collaborative (APIMHC)
- Outreach and Engagement Events
- Non-clinical Mental Health Screening and Assessments
- Wellness Promotion, including psychoeducation and anti-stigma presentation
- Stigma Reduction Presentations
- Linkages to Services
- Serves San Francisco County
Pacific Islander Wellness Initiative (PIWI)
- Outreach and Engagement
- Psychoeducation and Prevention
- Mental Health Consultation
- Preventative Counseling
- Serves Alameda County
- Drop-in Groups
Who We Serve
In both San Francisco and Alameda County, RAMS’ Population Focused Prevention and Early Intervention serves primarily Asian and Pacific Islander communities including Mongolians, Cambodians, Filipinos, Laotians, Samoans, Vietnamese, Native Hawaiian, Tongan, and Chamarro/Guamanian.
Through outreach and engagement events that range from small gatherings to large festivals, APIMHC and PIWI reaches over 50,000 individuals across the Bay Area. APIMHC’s and PIWI’s efforts in wellness promotion, screenings and assessments, and service linkages helped hundreds of adults and children learn more about mental health and access the care they need.
Natalie Tualemoso Ah Soon, MPH
Asian & Pacific Islander Mental Health Collaborative & Pacific Islander Wellness
4020 Balboa St. San Francisco, CA 94121
(415) 668-5998 ext. 22
Asian and Pacific Islander Mental Health Collaborative
4020 Balboa Street San Francisco, CA 94121
Tel: (415) 668-5955 ext. 22
Direct line: (415) 920-3112 ext. 22
Fax: (415) 751-7336
Pacific Islander Wellness Initiative
22712 Foothill Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94541
Tel: (510) 856-9760
Fax: (510) 856-9154